Monday, January 19, 2009

Surprised and Strange

I was at a seminar at our church on Saturday. Our speaker was Sally of Beloved Of God. She is a gifted speaker with a love for women. I am glad she is my friend. She and her husband have joined Kay Author at Precept Ministry.

One of the verses she mentioned really hit me. Well several of them did but right now this one keeps playing over in my mind.

1 Peter 4:12
Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.

So this got me to thinking. Why are we so surprised? Why do we ask "why me"? God tells us in his word that we will have trials. Yet when we are dealing with trials we just don't understand what is going on. We start to questions ourselves. Some question God. God doesn't make mistakes. It is impossible for him to mess up. So is it our lack of faith that we are surprised?

Why do we think it is strange or wrong for us to suffer and have trials. After all we are Christians and follow God. We think we don't have strong faith if we are dealing with an illness and God isn't healing it. We may have the child that wondered away from God and we question our self on what we did wrong. Why don't we accept it as God's plan. After all God knew each of our days before we took our first breath.

I think as I spend my time with God this week I am going to ask for more insight on how to deal with these situations and sufferings. I am going to ask God show me how to accept this as his plan and not something strange happening to me. I know to do this I need to spend time in the word, in prayer and being silent.

4 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Growing up in a home where some how I picked up that God was just waiting for us to step out of line so that He could set us straight....it is always a struggle when I hit hard times. I often wonder if I am being punished for something...or if it is just a trial.

I have to remind myself that He loves me and promises to work all things together for my good.
As long as I know that....I will walk through anything for Him.

Love Kay Arthur......her place is about two or three hours from here.

Denise said...

Nice post.

Linda said...

I think the human side of us wants to avoid suffering at all cost (at least that's how I've been) - but you are right. The Lord has told us to expect it. We do have the choice in the way we respond to it. It helps me to know that nothing comes to me that doesn't first pass through His hands and that He will use it to bring blessing according to His will.

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your post was very insightful and has given me much to think about today. Thank you for writing about this. I know it is all in God's plan, but the question WHY often pops up in my head.
Have a blessed day.
Nancy
www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com