Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Kiss From Heaven

I want to share a touching moment that hit my heart this morning. I over see the Sunday School program at our church for Pre K to 4th grade. I took this position in Sept. All the children start in a large room for opening then break to their age appropriate classes. I have been working on teaching the children the basic of the bible. Things like number of books, why it is divided into to parts, Palms being the center book, and other fun facts. They are also learning to re site the books of the Old Testament. I also send home a children devotional every two months.

I was getting the idea the kids weren't reading their devotionals at home so I thought I'd come up with something to peek their interest. So each week I would chose a verse from the week and talk about it. I've been doing this for a few weeks now. I've been noticing a few kids started bring their bible with them. This morning for the first time when I said "Today I am going to read Jeremiah 29:11." As I was turning my pages in my bible I saw one girl open her bible and start paging through, then another little boy opened his bible and spoke out, "Can you help me find that." Next thing I knew I was helping several eager children find Jeremiah 29:11 in their bibles. My heart was so touched by this. It felt like a kiss from Heaven.

You see our Pastor says almost every week in church, to the adults, you should be bringing your bible every week so open it up to .... He once said "One day everyone will be bring their bible." See I was raised in a church you didn't need to bring your bible along. Then one day I found myself in a church where we were being taught and I was thinking "where does it say that in the bible." I would look and look and didn't fine it where the Pastor said it was even in different versions. Since coming to this church my husband is reading his bible every day something he never did. I want these children to learn God's word and how to use it. To bond with it daily.

I'm going to share another fun fact from Sunday School. I have challenged my kids to raise $100 a month or $1,000 by June first. It they do I will dye my hair pink. Yes I just said pink. Money will go to a church were I serve on the mission team every summer. There church is in need of Sunday School materials for the children so we are try to raise the money for them. I'll keep you posted and yes I post a picture if we reach our goal.

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Girl...You are brave! And I hope for the churches sake that you get a new pink do. :)

And it is sweet to see little ones looking into the word because they are curious and want to know.
I was raised in a church where you brought your Bible. And then it was just assumed that you would know where each book was. If you didn't you would act like you did.

I love how you helped the kids...I am sure that put a smile on the Fathers face.

Denise said...

Woo Hoo, you will look good in pink.