Sunday, July 15, 2007

Putting The Word To Use

This morning in my devotions I was reading about applying God's word to our life. How do we learn what God expects of us? It is in His Word! If we aren't in the His Word we can't make the right moves. We can do all the studying we want but if we don't put it to use in our our life what good is it? It isn't. The proof of our Christian life is in the doing not just the knowing. We must have a heart for God and a longing to live His Word out. It is one thing to read about life another to live it.
Did you ever meet someone who know a lot of triva? That person knows things you wonder why but what use do they make of it? One person once said to me I like triva you just never know when you may need it. With God's Word you need it daily. Did you ever hear the saying If you don't use it you lose it? You can use God's Word.

Then I went to church and the Pastor was speaking from James 1:22-25
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

The Title of the message was Living Out The Word: Faith That lives
(I'm getting the idea God wants me to pay attention He is speaking to me)
Two points that stuck in my mind are:
The results of studying the Bible is righteous living.
We must interact with the Word
But then he gave a quote that has hit home with me in the past: "Are you one who marks your bible without your bible marking you?"

That use to be me. I would read my bible daily to say I read my bible through in a year or just to be able to say yes I read my bible every day. Well that has changed in my life over the last few years. I read my bible to study it. I ask God to reveal what he wants me to learn. I try to live the "christian life". Now my prayer will be "God open my eyes to what you want me to learn and teach me to be obedient to live Your Word out in my life.

John 14:20-21
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

Have a heart for obeying His word and take time to pray about it and live it out.

No comments: