Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What's The Hardest

This week someone asked me what I thought the hardest thing is about being a Christian. For me that would be asking God to reveal my sins. You know the stuff you don't want to see in yourself. There is sin I confess daily. Like saying to much, but it is when I ask God to reveal my sin that bother me. It is showing me things I don't like about myself. Now what do I do about that. Have a pity party because I have this ugly sin and who could like me. I could confess the sin during prayer time and go on. But what I need to do is confess and ask God to help me change. Changing means I have work to do. But I must admit when God and I conquer one of my sins, it feels so good! He is a gracious and merciful God!

Lord, I realize that You are a God who know the secrets of my heart. Reveal them to me, if I'm not seeing them. Show me any place in my life where I harbor sin in my thoughts, words or actions that I have not recognized. Show me the truth about myself so that I can see it clearly. Examine my soul and expose my motives to reveal what I need to understand. I am willing to give up meaningless and unfruitful habits that are not Your be for me. Enable me to change where I need to. Open my eyes to what I need to see so that I can confess all sin and repent of it. I want to cleanse myself and purify my heart as You have commanded in Your Word.

Luke 16:15
He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.

1 John 3:19-20
This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

James 4:8
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know it is the hardest thing for me too. You absolutely hit the nail on the head! Sometimes it is so easy to justify something that is a sin because others think it is "normal"
or sometimes we can do the right things but, for the wrong motives.
I constantly need to be in the realization of God's presence and that He knows the secrets of my heart as you said.

Thank you,
Judy