Sunday, June 3, 2007

Working On The Garden

I've never been one who got into this whole spring thing of planting flowers and veggies, however my husband and daughters do. I grew up in a area where families had large gardens and it would take hours sometime till all the weeding was done. Then maybe we would have to pick beans and peas and clean them. It was hot and the swimming pool would be tempting us. In our neighborhood we teamed up and instead of weeding your garden with your siblings we would split up with neighbors and work in the garden with friends. We would plan all the fun we were going to have later in the day.

Today in Sunday School I got to thinking about those days and how my life isn't all that different. Our Sunday School Teacher calls Galations 5:16-26 The weeding of the garden of life.

16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

As you read these verses you will see the weeds that you need to continually pull out of your life. You will also see the fruit good weeding will produce. Some of these weeds are easy to remove. Others are a daily challange in todays world of "what about me" I will be honest and say selfishness is hard for me. I often look at all I do for my family and think "I liked some time for me or a little appreacation for all I do for you." But that is where I am wrong. I am not doing things for my family I should be doing them for the Lord and doing it with joy in my heart.

Colossians 3:23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

I don't like the weeding but with the help of fellow christians to hold me accountable it can be fun.

No comments: