Sunday, June 10, 2007

Letting The Walls Melt

This blog today is a little different. In church, I was challenged into my uncomfortable zone. I'm sad to say I failed this time but others did not. We were asked at the start of church to get out of our seats and go to someone and encourage them. Now I love to encourage people but when we were told to get out of our seats I froze. What if I say the wrong thing to the wrong person? What if they walk away saying what was she thinking? What if ..... I had to sit down. I looked at my husband and said that isn't me! My eyes started darting around like a "deer in head lights". Two gals came up to me. One I've know for a few years. The other I've gotten to know from reading her blogs. She gave me hug and encouraged me with this blog. Something melted in me during that hug. I felt God saying to me "these people will except you. They will love you even if your words sound funny to you they are my words."

Since coming to this church I have held myself back. I didn't want to be hurt again. I hid behind friends and this blog. No longer I am stepping out. After our mission trip John and I are going to seek out where we can use our gifts in the church. Please be praying for me as I sort my gifts out and seek where God wants them to use me.

Now I as think back to today's Sunday School class I see God speaking to me even then. We were talking about what God asks of us in the local church.
Philippians 1:3-6
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

So as I reflect on today I come up with the following thoughts: God wants us to dress ourselves with compassion and kindness. Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
They goes out looking who needs love, how can I ease someone burden, how can I touch them personally. It means making life easier for others, not harder, just as Jesus makes my life easier.

So I come to the conclusion I must show more compassion and kindness and the walls will continue to melt away.

No comments: