Friday, May 18, 2007

The Throne or the Phone

Where do you turn first when you have troubles? Do you truly turn to God first. OK you said a quick prayer and then you call someone to share a "prayer request" Is it really a request or just a way to share with a friend?

Now I got to thinking about that quick prayer. As I was reading 2 Chronicles 20 Jehoshaphat had a problem. The Moabites, Ammonites and some Meunites wanted war on Jehoshaphat. He went to inquire of the Lord. He first offered praise and honor starting in verse 6 then asked. Do you do this backwards? How often do you sent the quick s.o.s. to God in times of trials.

This got me think, as a mother, how do my children go about asking for something they really want. Depending how big the request it can start early in the day. They do things around the house to help without being asked. They complement me. One would always walk to the corner store and buy me a chocolate candy bar. What they are doing is praising and pleasing to me. Then come the request. They made me feel good and they were good so why couldn't they be allow to........

Now that's how Jesus teaches us to pray in the Lord's prayer. First comes the praise "Our Father who art in heaven Holy be your name....

Next time trial comes spend some time at the throne and hang up the phone.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love reading your blogs. Always gets me thinking. Thanks so much for posting them.

BTW, I know nothing about buying you candy bars.....

Sandi said...

you was your brother who bought candy bars