Sunday, September 28, 2008

Get Behind Me Satan

Today's church message spoke to me in a big way. Not sure this was the direction our Pastor meant for it to go, but it was what God wanted me to know. Our pastor is doing a series on The Lord's Pray. Today was part 13.
Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one

We were told temptation has two meanings. A difficult trial or do evil. Does God tempt us? The answer is no. Does he let us have difficult trials, the answer is yes. It will builds and proves our faith. Now this is the part that woke me up. God leads to prove our faith. Satan will use that to tempt us. He use this example:
Matthew 4:1
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.

It says Jesus was LED by the SPIRIT. That means God did the leading. Then says tempted by the devil. So Satan did the tempting. This can also be found when illness happens. It will either bring one closer to God or turn the person away. Why did they turn away. They followed Satan's temptation.

Now look at every day life. God will walk us though trials to prove and build our faith. This is something Satan loves because he will be there tempting up. It is our decision to accept this temptation or say "Get behind me Satan." It brought to mind my every day afternoon. I said my afternoons for one hour is to be for the Lord. I often have things come up that really should be dealt with at that time and that is when I make those phone calls or do the work. Sometimes I just want to read my novel. I've now come to realize it isn't me being lazy. It is Satan tempting me to chose him over God. This brought tears to my eyes. I never want to chose Satan over God but as I reflect over today's message I am seeing more ways I do this. It is time for me to say "Get behind me Satan."

Lord,
I pray you will take control more over my life and I will chose you when these times come my way. I don't mean to hurt you by choosing Satan but I now understand I am. I know the hurt when love ones chose poorly rather than moving closer to the love that is offered. Father I want to chose you. I do chose you.

2 comments:

Talk..to..Grams said...

You have such a sweet heart!
This must be very pleasing to the Father! Hugs, Grams

Sharon Brumfield said...

I hear you...and I hear your heart.
It is amazing the amount of times we have been hoodwinked by the devils schemes. I think I am just doing what I want to or thinking what I want to think when actually I am just bending my knee to satan. How he must laugh when it happens.
And one day he will pay....but by then there will be so many things that we have lost.
Dear God open our eyes and ears so we will benefit from the times of temptation and not giveaway what you died to give us.